Confusing yet fun what numbers on toasters actually mean
You all are familiar with toasters. These are gadgets that are used to toast slices of bread. With the invention of toasters in the market, it is safe to say that life has become much easier and convenient. Gone are the days where you have to wake up hours before breakfast to get ready. Now you can tug in your beds on warm, cozy mornings and enjoy sound sleep because your breakfast is going to be ready in less than 10 minutes.
The appliance comes in different types of bars, molds, shapes, sizes, and numbers. Once you learn which one is best for you and how to operate it, you can conquer your mornings and evening snack time routines like a pro. We are here to help you out.
Things to consider when you are looking at the numbers on your toasters
As easy as it may sound, certain things should be considered before looking at the numbers on your toasters. These things are gathered according to your needs to maximize the results.
Co-relate with the level of brownness
The numbers on your toasters represent the desired shade of brownness that you want. This varies from person to person. If you are someone who prefers the freshly-baked slices of bread to have a slight touch of brown consider setting the toaster number on 1. If you prefer it to be crunchy, set the button on 2 and if you want a crumbling toast, set it to 3!
Act as timers
Some expensive and well-made toasters have numbers that represent the minutes needed to toast the bread. If you are a busy person, this might be the ideal purchase for you because it allows you to toast the bread easily without kindling it.
Act as controller of toasty level
Everyone having a toaster at home has heard this from the elders because this fact is just as common as that. The level of toastiness that you want in your morning bread slices or some late-evening snacks, the numbers on the front of your toaster control that level. You can achieve your desired brown or dark loaves of bread by setting up these numbers.
Always check the variability of your toaster before clicking on that “add to the cart” button. The slices of bread come in different shapes and sizes, an ideal toaster should be spacious enough to handle all the varieties without pushing out any slice. This will save you from the exhaustion and fatigue of having to insert bread slices inside the toaster with extra strength.
How many slices can be handled at a time?
The numbers on the side of your toasters may represent the number of bread slices that can be handled at a time. This is a low-key amazing feature because it keeps your toaster running efficiently without any hassle. Also, it gives you an insight into how many slices should be inserted in a single time to avoid burdening the toaster oven.
Do you have a toaster?
Here are some recommendations for you to consider
Betty Crocker BC-2605CB 2-Slice Toaster
- Composed of a pull-down crumb tray to make it convenient for you to clean and wipe away the bread crumbs from the toaster.
- It has durable touch exterior due to which the walls of the toaster remain cool and you will not burn your hands whatsoever.
- Comes with a variety of shade range to select the toast’s shade and taste of your choice.
- Easy on the pocket too.
- A 2-slice toaster and shows all the essential qualities of a basic toaster.
IKICH Toaster 4 Slice
- Shows as much as 6 shade range so that you can customize your toasts according to your needs and desires.
- Occupies very less space because of its closely-packed structure.
- Made up of stainless steel exterior to last you a lifetime.
- Has an extra-long 4 slice capacity and is very suitable for you if you have a large family. Bring this one home if you want to save your time and energy.
- The price is affordable and the quality speaks for itself.
This is what the numbers on your toaster actually mean
As I have mentioned before, toasters come in a variety of shapes, sizes, molds, operations, features, and dimensions. According to studies, these numbers may represent the slices i.e., whether your toaster is a 2-slice r a 4-slice one. They can also represent the specific time a piece of bread will take to be completely cooked. Toasters are made for the convenience of mankind and it’s better to purchase the one that best suits your needs.
Your mind may be blown away after reading this but yes, the number indeed represents either the slices or the cooking time and not the toastiness of your toast. If you are someone who reads the manual for toasters, you might be aware of it. But don’t worry all the numbers and LCD light-up buttons are specially designed to help you in your day-to-day activities. Apart from that, it indicates the perfect amount of time required for cooking so that you will not burn your toast or waste your bread. In my opinion, this is the most important invention in the history of toasters.
Different types of toasters
Below are some of the types that deal with different numbers and representations to make it easy for you to understand. In addition to regular toasters, another versatile modification called toaster ovens is also available in the market.
You have decided to buy a toaster and trusted the brand but now is the time for you to decide: should I go for a 2-slice toaster or any other. To clear out that confusion, we are here to assist you. If you are living alone in a hostel, small cozy apartment a 2-slice toaster might be the perfect pick for you. This is the same basic toaster that has been used in the market for so many years. It has all the general functions and is ideal for daily use. Below are some tried and tested 2 slice toasters:
Amazon Basics 2 Slice, Extra-Wide Slot Toaster
- Removable crumb tray for easy and efficient removal of bread crumbs.
- Works quickly to reduce your load and also toasts the bread within seconds.
- As the name shows, this one is a 2- 2-slice toaster meaning that it can toast one or two slices of bread at a single time without any hustle.
- Includes multiple settings for efficient cooking, start-stop functions, and defrost techniques. You can enjoy both the lighter and darker tone with this toaster.
Hamilton Beach Stainless Steel 2 Slice Extra Wide Toaster with Shade Selector
- It is considered great for making muffins and toasts in small quantities because of its high-lift toast boost nature that lifts the food a little bit higher every time you need it.
- With this one in your house, you don’t have to worry about the timings at all because the toaster shuts down automatically when the bread gets jammed.
- The shade-selector range helps you to get the toast of your preferable crispiness.
- Super easy to handle.
These are considered ideal for large families. The toasters are specially designed to accommodate more slices of bread at a time to save your time and save you from the fatigue of having to stand in the kitchen in order to prepare the meal. If you live in a joint family and want to speed up the meal prep time, invest in 4-slice toasters. Some of them are suggested below:
Sunbeam Wide Slot 4-Slice Toaster
- The col-touch housing technique of this toaster maintains the coolness and temperature. This not only gives you a pleasant and hygienic environment but also helps you to prevent yourself from any kind of rash or burns.
- The multi-functional ability for better use.
- Budget-friendly rates and supreme quality.
- The dual controls on each side of the toaster help you to decide the settings and preferable shade ranges simultaneously.
Cuisinart CPT-180P1 Metal Classic 4-Slice toaster
- Comes with a custom control option and automatic settings so you can just take a back seat and chill without having to worry about your toast being burnt out.
- This one has multiple functions including defrost, bagel function, reheat, and cancellation. This provides immense relief especially if you are going to cook or make something in bulk.
- Easy to use and control.
- Wide range of functions for assisting better.
Pop-up toasters are very classy and straightforward when it comes to working but it solely depends upon how you like to use it too. They come with particular features and you need to decide which one goes well with your needs. For example, some of them behave like traditional general toasters. But if you are a big bagel eater, you definitely need to invest in the one that has superb bagel settings. The displays on the pop-up toasters may vary from analog to digital and guys this is just another explanation for what the numbers on your toaster display screens might represent.
Waring (WCT704) Two-Compartment Pop-Up Toaster
- With this one in your house, you can quickly clean the crumb tray by the rotary dial browning level control feature.
- It’s a great toaster with wide slots to hold loaves of bread easily.
- Reasonably priced and looks good too with the kitchen countertops.
- Highly recommended because of its long slots and simple control buttons.
Advantages of using toasters
Ahh, this topic doesn’t even need an explanation. In today’s fast-paced world, we all want to get things immediately, and that too with great efficiency. Having a piece of machinery that can act as a helping hand in household chores is indeed a blessing. Toasters will be your best friends in the kitchen, no matter what time of the day it is. They make sure to prepare the food at full tilt and consume less time to heat up as compared to normal ovens. This can be very beneficial for you if you are concerned about electricity and other utility bills. Toasters reduce the costs and get the work done. A win-win situation.
An oven is a bulky piece of equipment that occupies a ton of space but a toaster gets the same work done just by resting on the countertop and occupying little space. I would prefer this quality over any other. Don’t want my kitchen to look like a behemoth and I am sure you don’t want that too.
Another very important reason for getting a toaster is to save time and effort. This is extremely beneficial for the people who belong to the working class. The hectic routine may leave you tired and exhausted throughout the day but you can watch how this exhaustion and fatigue vanishes away from your life once you bring the toaster in house. 
Safety tips to consider while using toasters
Although toasters ad toaster ovens are a great hit, it is still advisable to consider some basic safety tips while using them. We care about you and we have compiled a comprehensive guide to set your safety as the topmost priority.
- Always read the user manual or any guiding article online before operating the product. This is extremely important if you are a first-time user. This will enable you to understand it better and prevent yourself from any potential danger.
- Due to cooking and toasting stuff continuously, the toaster might heat up. In this situation, always switch them off for some time so that they can cool down and won’t catch any fire or explosion. Apart from that, always wait for the toaster oven to cool down completely before cleaning it to prevent any unwanted blisters or burns.
- Before proceeding, make sure that you plug in all the switches correctly as mentioned in the guiding manual to eliminate the possible risk of bumps to the built-in heating elements.
- Insert and keep your toaster in a suitable place. It is highly suggested that the place should be airy. Spacious or not doesn’t matter. Being airy will prevent any possible heat damage and will also increase the life span of your toaster.
- Last but not the least, always keep your toaster clean and tidy. This is not only for your better health but also improves the span of your toaster. I am pretty sure you don’t like to cook in a toaster filled with breadcrumbs. Always switch off the toaster when not in use to reduce electricity consumption and the risk of electrocution. 
By this time, I am sure you are able to get an idea about what the numbers on your toaster ovens actually represent. All the products mentioned above have different numbers on digital display screens and belong to different categories. By having extensive knowledge about number and display screens, you can make the most out of your existing ovens. And even if you are going to buy a new one, this knowledge will help you to make the decision wisely.
Whatever you decide to buy solely depends upon your budget, needs, and living standards. Indeed the toasters are the most efficient and time-saving machines available in the market.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can a toaster act as my helping hand?
Toaster ovens act as a helping hand by reducing energy consumption, electricity bills and by cooking the items quickly. This way you can make your breakfast or evening snacks swiftly without any effort. This provides immense luxury and eliminates fatigue.
Can I bake cakes on toasters?
This depends upon the size and function of your toaster. Some toaster ovens provide multi-functional features that allow you to bake cakes. All you have to do is to select the right heating elements and pan and voila, your cake is ready to roll.
Are there any serious risks associated with toasters?
No, there are no potential health-threatening risks associated with the use of toasters however, it is advisable to follow the safety guidelines mentioned above, just to be on the safe side and to get the full fledge advantage from your toasters.
 Sanchez-Pardo, Maria Elena, et al. “Comparison of pound cake baked in a two cycle microwave-toaster oven and in conventional oven.” LWT-Food Science and Technology 46.1 (2012): 356-362.
 Corkidi, Samuel Quiroz, and R. T. A. C. Americas. “Toaster Oven Control System Using MC9S08QD2.” Freescale Semiconductor Inc (2007): 1-9.
 Ingole, Miss Anuradha Dilip. “Application Potential for Developments in Microwave Oven Systems.”
 Harper, Earnest F. “What Every Safety Practitioner Needs To Know About Electrical Hazards, CodesandStandards-2000.” ASSE Professional Development Conference and Exposition. American Society of Safety Engineers, 2000.